Is it correct that it is expected from an investor to have all the information needed in the temperature rating approach available himself, which in practice might prove to be quite challenging for e.g., large equity portfolios?

Good question. Several data providers have most or all of the data available for the temperature rating method. We worked together with CDP, Bloomberg, ISS ESG, MSCI, S&P Trucost, and Urgentem and these providers and others have some or all of these data points. The difficult dataset is usually the companies’ targets and CDP has a good dataset for this, which is also “resold” or included in other data providers’ data sets, but other data providers are also building out their own data collection for target data. Initially, you may need to use more than one data provider to get all the data.

I think this is a major obstacle to committing to setting a SBT.

I have yet not been able to find the same data between various sources and not a single provider holds all data readily available to apply to the calculation tool.

In addition, I also find it difficult (impossible?) to convert companies target reductions into the format. Especially odd intensities seems hard to enter - and maybe also for the tool to understand.

Finally, I do not think that the tool and the data required are very well explained. I listed a number of questions here: SBTi-Finance Temperature rating: Streamlining data used for calculating the temperature rating - Tools - Science Based Targets for Financial Institutions

Hi Henrik,

Here are two examples of data providers that have solutions and/or data that supports the SBTi Finance Tool and its Temperature Rating and Portfolio Coverage methods.

For instance, Urgentem’s Element 6 Climate Risk Platform temperature metric is using the CDP-WWF method for its calculation. So, this is a turnkey solution for the temperature score calculation.

Another example is Bloomberg, where you find an Excel file with the fields you need from their API in their [BESG] function under the tab “Climate Solutions” and the heading “Other/Temperature Scores”. This maps Bloomberg fields to the fields in the SBTi Finance tool as given by the data legends section in our technical Getting Started guide (http://getting-started.sbti-tool.org/).

These are two examples of data providers you can use today, but the others mentioned above should have most or all of the data needed for the temperature rating calculation.

I have replied to the last part of your question in your other thread here, but we do have a data legends section in our technical getting started guide (http://getting-started.sbti-tool.org/), that should provide most of the answers.

I hope that helps.

/Donald

Hi Donald

any chance you could provide the BBG file with the mapping? It doesn’t seem to be on the BBG terminal anymore.

Thanks a lot
Nikos

Hi @NikosL,

Unfortunately we cannot do that here. You have to reach out to the Bloomberg (BBG) Help desk for this.

However, BBG has recently started to publish temperature ratings or “implied temperatur rise (ITR)” of companies using the CDP-WWF method. You find them on {ESG TR} on a company level. And if you search {FLDS Temp Score} for a company, you find BBG’s 9 fields covering temp ratings for scope 1&2, Scope 3, Scope 1,2&3 over short, mid and long term. You can use these fields in Excel using the legacy API or the new BQL query language along with using them for instance in monitors {W}. All you then need to do is to aggregate your portfolio using one of the aggregation methods allowed in the CDP-WWF Temperature Rating method to get a temperature rating of your portfolio.