SBTi "Contracts" / NDAs with Target-Setters

Dear SBTi and @tobyhopwood in particular,

I had posed a query a while back: “Could you please share the rationale for entering into contracts that preclude the ability to independently enact the scientific method [of independent replication / verification] in the first place.”

I imagine you all are super duper busy, but I’d be very interested in a response to this question, and I imagine others likely would be interested as well.

When I posted on LinkedIn on the climatechangenews article that revealed that SBTi entered into non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) with target-setting companies about a year ago, it garnered almost 70k impressions, 336 “likes”, 100+ comments, and 22 reposts, which I interpret to mean that there is a high degree of interest in this issue.

Accordingly, I think it would be really helpful to transparently understand SBTi’s rational for entering into such non-transparency agreements, particularly when it impedes the enactment of the scientific method, and particularly when SBTi operates in the public interest, but prevents public access to the information necessary for the public to assess the actions that are taken in its interests.

Thank you very much for your attention to this issue.

Best,
Bill

1 Like

It’s been a week since I posted this query – I’m writing to check in on a response.

@tobyhopwood I look forward to hearing back on this from you or an appropriate colleague.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best,
Bill

Hi @tobyhopwood I’m going to use my last of 3 allowed posts to check in on a response to this query. Imagine you are quite busy, but 2 weeks seems like a reasonable amount of time to expect a response. I also get it that this is sensitive topic, and I assume you are not personally responsible for the decision in question. All of this said, the only reason I’m engaging here is because of a recent SBTi invitation to engage here (I think it was in the post-event email from the technical update webinar.) So if this is NOT a valid place to engage, then please do let me know, so I can stop wasting all of our time. But in the absence of such information, it does seem incumbent on you / SBTi to actually engage in good faith after inviting stakeholders onto this platform.

Thank you very much, and have a good weekend!

Best,
Bill

1 Like