Can Municipalities Obtain SBT Certification Focusing Solely on Transportation

Hello SBT Community,

I’m exploring the possibility of obtaining a Science Based Targets (SBT) certification for one municipality. I would like to know if it’s necessary for a government to encompass all areas of a city when seeking this certification, or can we focus only on specific sectors? Specifically, I’m keen on addressing the transportation segment.

I’d love to hear from others who might have experience with SBT in the public sector or insights on the certification process.

Thank you in advance!

Per the FAQs on the SBTi website: The SBTi does not currently assess targets for cities, local governments, public sector institutions, educational institutions or non-profit organizations. However, we encourage these stakeholders to consider science-based target setting methods on their own. Cities can register their interest in setting targets through the Science Based Targets Network (SBTN).

Hi Howard,

Thank you for the response. It is very informative.
I have a few follow-up questions:

1. While the SBTi currently doesn’t assess cities, is there any indication or plan for including cities in the near future?
  2. What is the incentive for a city to register with SBTN if it is not officially assessed?
  3. I noticed a statement on the website that caught my attention: “Once you register your interest, we will help you get started on your journey towards assessing and reducing your company or city’s impacts on nature.” Could you provide some insights into the kind of support and resources cities might receive upon registering?

Thank you again for your assistance, and I look forward to hearing more about this.

Best regards,
Soma

Hi Soma, I’m not aware of any SBTi plans for that. On your other questions, I believe SBTN would be better placed to respond.

Hi Howard,
Thank you for the response. I’ll ask SBTN for this! Appreciate your feedback.