What target setting method is recommended if only parts of borrower’s emissions can be covered by an SDA? E.g. a borrower generates power and also refines natural gas.
Can/should the power SDA be applied for the portion of Scope 1 emissions related to power generation? If yes, how can the remaining emissions be considered under the Temperature Rating approach? (We have decided against Portfolio Coverage) Is there a % threshold of Scope 1 emissions above which the SDA should be fully applied?
I would say that the power SDA can be applied for the portion of emissions related to power generation as if that portion represented one company. And the remaining emissions could be considered under the Temperature Rating (TR) method as if that portion represented another company. Since the borrower isn’t fully in electricity generation, perhaps a cleaner way would be to use TR for both portions separately (as different sectors) and then aggregate them into one company score. There is currently no explicit % threshold above which the SDA should be fully applied otherwise, though if emissions from power generation made up >95% of total scope 1+2 emissions for a company, it could exclude up to the remaining 5%.