SBTi vs. ISO Net-zero Standard

In November 2022 ISO published the output from their International Workshop Agreement (IWA) 42. In the document it reads that it provides guiding principles and recommendations to enable a common, global approach to achieving net zero greenhouse gas emissions through alignment of voluntary initiatives and adoption of standards, policies, and national and international regulation. An IWA is reviewed after three years at which point it can be further processed to become a Publicly Available Specification, a Technical Specification, or an International Standard.

How does this document relate to the SBTi corporate Net zero or financial net zero standards? Is it complimentary? Is it aligned with SBTi’s standards? As it reads now, I’m thinking the ISO standard may create a quality framework for net-zero targets and that SBTi’s standards provide the details needed to fulfill the requirements.

I’d really would like to hear SBTi’s or other forum members advice on this. I am senior sustainability analyst at a global EHS compliance and sustainability company, and this information would be useful when we advise clients.

Thank you in advance for your advice and opinion.

Jannika

Hi Jannika,

Thank you for your question. At the time of the IWA 24 publication, we only had the Corporate Net-Zero Standard available. Please note that this does not apply to Financial Institutions Standards.

That being said, SBTi did participate in the working group and figures on Sectoral Targets in section 8.2.2. are fully aligned with the Corporate Net-Zero Standard.

The ISO IWA 42 can be seen as complimentary but seperate from SBTi Standards. Where there is divergence on relevant topics considered in the ISO IWA 42, it is noted what guidance is provided by SBTi in relation to recommendations provided.

Hunter